Saturday, January 24, 2009

Leonidas is a gift from God


About twice a week I take Leo to my grandma's rehab center to brighten her spirits. She had been asking for him for a days, and I found out he didn't have to be a therapy dog(which is his on his way to being) for me to bring him into the facility. But before I can even get back to her room, the other patients stop me in the great room ..well they don't stop me, they stop Leo. Just seeing the smiles that cross their faces when he rolls over or licks their hands. It's overwhelming. Sometimes they will talk to me for a good 20 minutes, other times they comment on how handsome he is and how sweet of a dog he is and then go on their way. It hurts my heart to think of these people (young and old) not having people visiting them. I am so overjoyed that I help lift their spirits for a few minutes with the gift of Leo. He truly is a blessing to not just me, but to my family. The same way Fergus was a blessing to our family when Heather was sick. If you are ever questioning getting a dog as a pet, I would say go right ahead and do it. It will be so worth it. Your life will dramatically change, but that will be okay. Its been a difficult road at times raising Leo on my own, but my parents have been fantastic support and helpers and I would be completely lost if Leo wasn't in my life.




No comments:

Powered By Blogger