Nick and Paula
nick and nate camping
Licking the foam off my nose in NiagaraThank you God for looking out for my dear friend Nicholas Schuyler. I remember the first time I layed eyes on Nick ( and yes I say layed eyes, because the boy is absolutely gorgeous), it was his freshman year (my sophomore) and Nate and I had walked out of koonce hall to wait for the campus loop to take us to the stadium. Standing there, like they were super models were Nick in gym clothes and his girlfriend Megan, (MEGO) she was in orange shorts and a hooters tank top, I at the time thought she worked there. But a normal human being could not take their eyes off this good looking couple, and I was no different. I later found out that Nick lived on Nate's floor, the 7th floor and they became fast friends. That spring break, Nate, Nick, Mego and 6 other guys and I drove down to Nick's dads house in Clearwater. I remember Nick makes the best scrambled eggs. It was the first time I ever had cheese in them. Although Nate and I didn't survive long after the trip, neither did Nick and Megan, we all remained good friends. When Nick decided to move down to Flordia with his girlfriend Chrissy, we didn't get to see him as much. Although when Chrissy and Nick broke up, Nick and I found ourselves taking 4 times a week on the phone about our heartbreaks. He would tell me how sad he was, and I would do the same, and then he would say "OMG, WTF" over and over and over in a grizzly voice. Eventually Nick found a new love, with his sisters friend Paula. I remember when I met Paula, Nick took me aside and said " it gets better Amy, I promise you, it does, look what I found." that was over two years ago, and I still remember it word for word. I had lost touch with Nick as Nate and began to grow more apart, but I have never forgotten our many phone calls and the way I felt that he understood how sad I was, and didn't think I was loosing it. I received the news that Nicks boat had gone missing last night at about 10:30 from Rhonda (Nate's mom). it seemed so unreal, that someone I knew could "go missing". My heart went out to his family, sister Kristen, Paula, Mego, Smithers, all of Nicks friend, but most of all Nate crossed my mind. Although Nate and I don't have any form of relationship, which is another story for another day, I found myself worried sick about him. Today at work I was telling my co-workers how one of my friends was the one missing. Just then my boss walked in and told me one of the guys had been found "clinging" to the boat. I immediately checked my phone. First I saw a text message from Mego telling me there would be a prayer ceremony for Nick in Chardon on Tuesday. Next I saw a missed call and message from Rhonda. My stomach dropped as I began to listen to the message. But felt relief when I heard her say "Hi Amy, I know its your first day at your new job, and I know you prob ally don't have your phone by you, but Paula called Nate, and Nate called me, they found Nick. He was clinging to the boat..he's alive." he's alive?..he's alive! I played those words over and over in my head, my hands shaking. Miracles do exist. Nick is a large man. Not heavy large, but the kind of guy whose 6'4, 230 pounds with like 6 % body fat. His hands are massive. All of which prob ally kept him alive. I have watched and read just about everything on the Internet involving his rescue. I watched him be pulled from the boat, to the hospital, saw him speak. Heard what he said to his mom "i just kept saying, you weren't going to come to my funeral" My heart still goes out for the three missing men and their families, but I am so happy Nick is safe and pray his recovery goes smoothly.

No comments:
Post a Comment